‘I-96 shooter’ has Taylorsville ties

-A A +A

Casteel arrested in Michigan, linked with multiple shootings

By Shannon Brock

A former Taylorsville resident was arrested in Michigan last week and charged in connection with what are being dubbed the I-96 shootings.

Raulie Casteel, 43, lived in Taylorsville until last summer when he and his wife returned to Michigan, Taylorsville Police Chief Toby Lewis said Wednesday.
Casteel lived on Garden Drive, then in a residence on Oak Tree Way, Lewis said.
WXYZ-TV, a television station in Southfield, Mich., reports that Casteel has been charged in connection with 24 separate shootings that occurred in four counties on I-96 during a two-week period in October.
Only one person was hit during the shootings, and none died, according to WXYZ.
The news station reports that last Wednesday, Casteel was arraigned on six counts related to the shootings in Livingston County, Mich. — one count of assault with a dangerous weapon, one count of assault with a dangerous weapon with unlawful intent, one count of discharging from a vehicle and three counts of felony firearms.
On Friday, Casteel was arraigned on 60 additional counts, including nine counts of assault with intent to murder, WXYZ reports.
Casteel is due back in court today.
Lewis said he was contacted last Monday, Nov. 5, by the FBI in Michigan asking if he had any information on a person of interest in the shootings. Casteel’s name didn’t ring a bell, but once Lewis saw a picture of Casteel, he remembered the man right away, he said.
Lewis said Casteel didn’t have an arrest record in Taylorsville and that he came in contact with Casteel on two occasions.
The first was a couple of years ago when the Taylorsville Police Department hosted a “Chief’s Night Out” where community members were invited to the police department to meet the chief and officers.
Casteel attended the event with his wife, and Lewis described them both as “well spoken and educated.”
Lewis described his second encounter with Casteel as “out of character” from what he remembered from the Chief’s Night Out.
“He called us, called the [Sheriff’s Office] and called us again complaining that airplanes were flying too close to his house,” Lewis said.
Lewis said Casteel seemed to interpret the alleged fly-overs as an act of terrorism on his domain.
Lewis said he referred Casteel to the FAA and asked him to look for any identifying numbers on the aircrafts that could be reported to the FAA.
“He made an interesting comment that if we couldn’t take care of it, then he would have to,” Lewis recalled. “Then, a week later, his house was on the market.”
After making the connection between the name and Casteel’s actions while in Taylorsville, Lewis said he was able to look up a forwarding address from the water department and pass that along to the FBI.
Casteel was being held on a $2 million bond, but there was no bond set after he was arraigned on the assault with intent to murder charges.