.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Another bomb threat, this time the middle school involved

-A A +A
By Mallory Bilger

Spencer County Schools has been the target of yet another bomb threat, this time the target being the middle school.The Spencer County Schools Superintendent Chuck Adams sent this email message out at 3:46 p.m. Tuesday afternoon:

"Good afternoon parents and teachers,
Unfortunately, I have the dubious distinction of once again informing students, staff, parents, and stakeholders within Spencer County Schools of yet another incident involving the threat of a bomb. This time, the target is the middle school and the designated day is this Thursday, April 24. What we know about this event that we did not know with certainty last week is that video evidence supports that no visitors, strangers, etc. were anywhere around or inside the restroom during the timeline that the message was written. Therefore, indicating that the idle threat did in fact come from within the building. Leads continue to be investigated and both local and state police are involved at this point. Given the need for additional reassurance and security for students and parents alike, there will be another sweep conducted by KSP this evening and increased police presence at all buildings through Thursday. I have also been asked that parents and teachers take a moment to explain the severity of these actions to their children as the amount of resources expended for senseless pranks such as this adversely affect local, state, and even federal agencies and for that reason, when identified, the person(s) responsible will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation during this difficult time."
Taylorsville Police Chief Toby Lewis confirmed that Spencer County Middle School would be swept by law enforcement some time before the political forum starts at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday evening.Adams said the threat — like the threat at the high school last week — was scribbled on a bathroom wall. Adams said Tuesday afternoon that the schools and law enforcement felt fairly certain the perpetrator was a student.
"There's a strong belief that it's a copycat," Adams said. "The video evidence is much more in our favor (as compared to the high school incident) based on the timeline. Unfortunately there's a lot of kids that use that bathroom in a 4 to 5 hour period."He added, "We know it's not an adult or an intruder."
Adams said the situation was particularly sad because the middle school student is likely to be caught and the consequences would be serious. At this point, local, state and federal law enforcement officials are involved in the investigation."I'll be honest with you," he said. "Now that Homeland Security has been contacted, they're going to get attention. If they are caught, there's going to be attention like they've never seen before."
Adams said he has been told by officials that if the perpetrator at the middle school is caught, charges will be filed."Irregardless of what we as a school district do . . . charges would be pushed to the fullest extent of the law."