COLUMN: Lady Bears move on in district tourney

-A A +A
By John Shindlebower

The Spencer County Lady Bears beat the rain and their first round opponent in the 30th District tournament Monday night when they completed a 7-1 victory over Shelby County just minutes before a storm dumped buckets of rain onto the field, postponing the second game of the tournament.

The Lady Bears threatened to score in the first inning, getting two runners on before recording their third out. However, after Spencer County pitcher Tara Sorrels struck out the side against the Lady Rockets in the top of the second inning, her teammates came to the plate to give her the run support she’d need the rest of the evening.
The inning started with Rachel Sibert singling to right field before Samantha Barmore reached on a fielder’s choice. Sydney Boatright got on board with an infield single and then shortstop Emily Lykins delivered a sharply-hit double down the left-field line to score the first run. A nice bunt by Brianna Bonham scored the next run. MacKenzie Keown drew a one-out walk to load the bases and another run scored when Katie McKinney got an infield hit. Another run would score when Sorrels singled to center.
Shelby County got one of those runs back in the top of the third on a two-out hit that scored a runner who had advanced to third, but they would not dent the plate again in the game.
Meanwhile, the Lady Bears put two more runs on the board in the bottom of the third when Barmore reached on a hit then later scored on a wild pitch. Lykins reached on a bunt and would also score later on a wild pitch to go up 6-1.
The Lady Bears would add one more run in the bottom of the sixth inning when Katie McKinney hit a long shot to center field for a double, then scored on a fly ball hit by Allie Sharp. Sorrels took the mound in the top of the seventh and faced only four batters to get the final out of the game.
The Lady Bears will now play the winner of the Anderson County-Collins matchup that was postponed after just one batter came to the plate because of a storm that rolled into Taylorsville shortly after the first game concluded.