Disaster assistance: NAP sales deadlines approaching

-A A +A
By The Staff

Supplemental Revenue Assistant Payments (SURE) provides benefits for  farm revenue losses due to natural disaster. It is the 2008 Farm Bill’s successor to the prior Ad Hoc Crop Disaster Programs also known as the CDP or Crop Disaster Programs. Unlike the prior USDA Disaster Programs, SURE is legislated through 2011.

SURE payments are available to producers on farms that are located in a county covered by a qualifying natural disaster declaration (USDA secretarial declarations only) or a contiguous county  OR

the actual production is less than 50% of the normal production for the entire farm.

In order to receive payments, the farm must suffer at least a 1% eligible production loss on at least one crop of economic significance. For a producer to be eligible for the SURE program, all of the farming operation’s crops (planted or intended) that are of economic significance must be covered by either federal Crop Insurance (CI) or FSA’s Non-insurable Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) coverage. Coverage must also be obtained for other crops for which CI or NAP is available, such as alfalfa, clovers, grass, mixed forages and vegetables. However, statute does not require coverage for grazed crops for the SURE.

Note: “socially disadvantaged”, “limited resource”, or “beginning” do not have to meet this requirement. In addition, the new law amends SURE eligibility so that crop insurance or NAP coverage is no longer required to crops that are not of economic significance or those where the administrative fee required to buy NAP coverage exceeds 10 % of the value of the coverage.

Note: Crops with intended uses that are covered through crop insurance shall be insured by the applicable Risk Management Agency sales closing date.

March 1 – sales closing date: alfalfa, grasses, mixed forages, clovers

March 15 – sales closing date: vegetables, corn-silage or forage, soybeans-silage or forage

For additional information on 2009 NAP sales closing dates contact the Mount Washington FSA Service Center at 502-538-2221.