Honorable Mentions: Additional stories that made headlines in 2012

-A A +A
By The Staff

Man gets 20 years for breaking into Cochran Hill home
After being caught breaking into a Cochran Hill Road home in March, a Louisville man was found guilty by a Spencer County jury, which recommended he be sentenced to 20 years in prison.
James R. Seabolt, 36, of Louisville, was found guilty of second-degree complicity to burglary and of being a first-degree persistent felony offender.
His codefendant in the case, Christina A. LaPointe, 33, also of Louisville, entered a guilty plea to second-degree complicity to burglary and second-degree possession of a controlled substance. She was sentenced to five years probation.
Seabolt is scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 10, 2013, at 9 a.m. in Spencer Circuit Court.
However, Seabolt is currently in custody at the Luther Luckett Correctional Complex in LaGrange serving time for a host of other charges.
According to court records, the jury recommended 10 years enhanced to 20 years because Seabolt was a persistent felony offender.
According to the Kentucky Online Offender Lookup system, Seabolt has been convicted of several class C and D felony charges ranging from theft by unlawful taking over $100 in Jefferson County in 2002 to second-degree burglary in Shelby County in 2002 to theft by unlawful taking over $100 and second-degree burglary in Spencer County in 2003.
Apparently, Seabolt was out on parole when he and LaPointe were caught burglarizing the Cochran Hill Road home in March of this year.

Three meth labs discovered in eight days in April
Between April 17 and 24, the Spencer County Sheriff’s department discovered three methamphetamine labs and made two arrests.
On April 17, Larry T. Wayne Jr., 23, of Yoder Tipton Road in Taylorsville, was arrested and charged with manufacturing methamphetamine (first offense), first-degree possession of a controlled substance - meth (first offense), and unlawful possession of a meth precursor (first offense).
Wayne allegedly had been manufacturing meth in an A-frame garage near his residence.
The next day, Wednesday, April 18, Deputy Tim Montgomery responded to reports of possible one-step meth labs on the roadside at Old Ashes Creek and Houghlin roads.
No arrests were made in that incident.
Stanley D. Carney Jr., 30, of Taylorsville, was arrested April 24 and charged with one count of manufacturing methamphetamine (first offense).
This time, the lab was located in a 1997 beige Chevy Blazer parked at a residence in the 4700 block of Little Union Road.
The Spencer County Sheriff’s Department discovered a one-step meth lab as well as an HCl generator, ammonia nitrate, coffee filters, salt, lithium batteries, acid, Coleman fuel and pseudoephedrine in the vehicle, Carney’s arrest citation said.
Both Wayne and Carney were indicted by a Spencer County grand jury and their cases are currently making their way through the court system.
Wayne has a court date of Jan. 10 and Carney is set to appear again on Jan. 24. A second party, April N. Netherton, 28, of Louisville, was also indicted in the case with Carney.

Charter government petition declared invalid
More than 1,500 signatures appeared on a petition in 2007 asking the Taylorsville City Commission and Spencer County Fiscal Court to form a commission to come up with a plan for a charter county government.
Nearly five years and two trial court opinions later — in June — a Commonwealth of Kentucky Court of Appeals opinion declared that petition must be rejected.
The opinion, rendered June 1 and written by Senior Judge Joseph E. Lambert, says the court concludes “that the wording of the petition did not precisely conform to the language of the statute and thus improperly limited the authority of the commission to be created pursuant to the statute.”
The statute referenced, Kentucky Revised Statute 67.830, governs the procedure by which a charter government can be created.
The Court of Appeals opinion reverses the findings of the trial court.
“The petition is null and void,” City Attorney John Dudley Dale told commissioners at a June City Commission meeting. “In essence, the petition never existed.”
However, those who were a part of putting that 2007 petition together beg to differ.
Dwight Martin, who says he has been a proponent for a merged government for 20 years, told The Spencer Magnet in June that the Charter Government Task Force did everything it needed to do when it circulated the petition five years ago.
Though charter government comes up in occasional conversation at public meetings, there has been little momentum to restart or continue the effort.

Local woman attempts to have judge John David Myles arrested, ends up arrested herself
A local woman who unsuccessfully attempted to have Family Court Judge John David Myles arrested was arrested herself in 2012, with her case eventually ending in a diversion offer.
Deborah Klotz, formerly of Taylorsville, was first in the news in July when she attempted to execute a citizens arrest on Myles, who was hearing her divorce case. Klotz represented herself in the case and claimed Myles was treating her unfairly. She also claimed that the judge did not have proper documentation of his oath of office filed with the Kentucky Secretary of State — an accusation that was proven false. The Spencer Magnet was able to obtain Myles’ written documentation of oath filed with the Secretary of State’s office.
Shortly following her citizens arrest attempt, Klotz was apprehended and charged with intimidating a participant in a legal process. She was arrested July 27 by Spencer County Sheriff Donald “Buddy” Stump after Master Commissioner and local attorney Charles Tichenor reported that an attempt to follow a court order to execute an auction contract on behalf of Klotz pursuant to a divorce settlement went awry.  According to Klotz’s arrest warrant, she threatened the use of force during a telephone call with Tichenor, and claimed her constitutional rights were violated. Tichenor ended the call and contacted the Spencer County Attorney’s office, which resulted in the arrest. Klotz posted bail and eventually accepted a diversion offer which came from special judge Matthew Eckert in October.
Under the agreement, Klotz is required to stay away from Tichenor for a period of six months. If she is able to adhere to those conditions until April, the charges will be dismissed, and 60 days after the dismissal, Klotz could file a motion for expungement.

Taylorsville welcomes two new Mexican restaurants in 2012
Taylorsville welcomed two new Mexican restaurants in 2012, including Fiesta Brava, which offers a fun, festive sit-down atmosphere, and Taco Bell, for those looking for Mexican food on the go.
Fiesta Brava opened in the summer of 2012 and is owned by seasoned restaurant owners and Spencer County residents Reinel and Heather Salgado. The restaurant is located at the old On The Way Café location at 100 Tanglewood Drive.
The Salgados pride themselves on offering quality mexican food at affordable prices. The location also offers an ice cream and dessert shop with a Hawaiian theme right next door to the restaurant.
“We are hoping that this will open the doors for other businesses to come because there isn’t much out here,” Heather said. “It’s time for Spencer County. It’s beyond time for Spencer County.”
Fiesta Brava is open Mondays-Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Fridays and Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.; and Sundays, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Rumors of a Taco Bell coming to Taylorsville circulated for months before the store officially opened in December at 105 Settlers Center Road in Taylorsville. The restaurant is open Sundays-Thursdays from 10 a.m. until 10 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 11 p.m. The location does not feature a drive thru.

Judge denies new trial for Susan Jean King
Susan Jean King, the Mount Eden woman who served time for the 1998 murder of a Shelbyville man, was released from prison in early November and her attorneys filed an appeal in an effort to get a new trial.
King, 52, was indicted on murder charges for the death of Kyle “Deanie” Breeden in April 2007. Two months after the initial indictment, a grand jury also charged King with tampering with physical evidence.
In September 2008, King entered the amended plea of second-degree manslaughter pursuant to North Carolina v. Alford — meaning she did not admit guilt, but she believed there was enough evidence against her that a jury could find her guilty.
But, in May, someone else admitted killing Breeden, and King’s attorney, Linda A. Smith, of the state’s Innocence Project entered a motion for a new trial.
Richard Thomas Jarrell Jr., 34, most recently of south Louisville, admitted to Louisville Metro Police that he killed Breeden — and could offer specific details in the case — while being questioned in May about an unrelated incident.
In October, Circuit Court Judge Charles Hickman denied King’s request for a new trial.
“A motion for a ‘new’ trial logically suggests that there was an ‘old’ trial, and that is not the case herein,” Hickman wrote in an opinion and order.
King was released from the custody of the Kentucky Department of Corrections on Nov. 5 and ordered to mandatory reentry supervision.

Trageser arrested twice in one week
A Spencer County man, known locally for his public critique of elected officials, was arrested twice in October and charged in two separate incidents.
Lawrence S. Trageser, 47, of the 100 block of Elmers Court, originally faced a charge of unlawfully accessing the county’s computer system, a felony, and a separate harassment charge, which is a misdemeanor. However, the felony charge was reduced to attempt to unlawfully access a computer.
According to an arrest warrant, which was executed along with a search warrant for Trageser’s home on Oct. 10, Detective Sgt. Tony Mattingly, of the Spencer County Sheriff’s Department, said that on Oct. 8, Trageser “unlawfully: without the effective consent of the owner, knowing and willfully accessed the Spencer County government network which resulted in the loss of $300 or more. Affiant [Mattingly] states that the defendant posted on Spencercowatchdog.com that he had ‘infiltrated the counties computer network and successfully retrieved’ documents from the Spencer County Clerk, Lynn Hesselbrock’s office.”
According to a second arrest warrant, Trageser faces a charge of harassment against Jonathan Bentley, who is employed as the chief deputy at the Spencer County Sheriff’s Department. Deputy Todd Tinsley executed the warrant Oct. 15.
Trageser’s case is progressing through Spencer District Court, and trial dates were set Friday in both cases.
Trageser is now scheduled to face a jury trial on April 19 in the felony case and on June 11 in the misdemeanor case.
The two charges are not related and are separated by a short period of time, so they will not be tried at the same time.

County, city move to purchase new and different radio systems
Citing a less than adequate radio system that left Spencer County Sheriff’s deputies without the ability to contact each other and dispatch in Frankfort in some areas of the county, Judge-Executive Bill Karrer declared a radio communications emergency in mid-October.
Karrer shared that, at the recommendation of Sheriff Donald “Buddy” Stump, the county would purchase ICOM radios that use NXDN technology.
Several years ago, the county’s 911 Committee, which is composed of emergency agency department heads, agreed to move in the P-25 direction — a move that is recommended by the Department of Homeland Security with the idea that the more agencies that use P-25 technology, the more agencies that will be able to communicate with each other in the event of a disaster or emergency.
In the early stages of the county’s plans to purchase the ICOM radios, Judge-Executive Bill Karrer offered for the county to purchase the needed NXDN technology radios for the county.
The city police department and the sheriff’s department share the same radio frequency, so the transition seemingly would have been smoother if both agencies were using the same technology.
At an Oct. 22 meeting of the City Commission, Karrer presented his offer. At that meeting, the city voted to accept the offer, let the county use its water towers for the new radio antennas and to develop a memorandum of understanding with the county to put the details in writing.
On Oct. 30, Karrer and Mayor Don Pay signed an MOU.
However, at a special Nov. 1 meeting, the commission voted to nullify the MOU because Pay had signed it before bringing it back for approval.
“We asked that day that they meet with us,” Commissioner Kathy Spears said. “Don signed the MOU, but we hadn’t approved it. We never told them they couldn’t use the towers.”
However, instead of meeting to come up with a workable agreement, at the Nov. 5 Fiscal Court meeting, Karrer made it known that the county would put in its own tower on its own property and withdrew the offer to provide funding for city radio equipment.
At its December meeting, the city voted to continue down the P-25 path and purchase the needed radios for the Taylorsville Police Department.
The county made its switch to digital communications on Dec. 14 and Sheriff Stump said the radios are working just as expected.