Man arrested for raping woman at gunpoint

-A A +A

Five-hour standoff ends in arrest; victim claims she was held for weeks

By Shannon Brock

A Spencer County man was arrested Friday after a five-hour standoff on charges that he held a woman against her will for a couple of weeks and raped her multiple times, including once at gunpoint.

Kevin M. Embry, 52, of the 800 block of Stevens Lane, is now in custody on four counts of first-degree rape, one count of first-degree wanton endangerment and one count of first-degree unlawful imprisonment.
Sheriff Donald “Buddy” Stump said the woman, whose name is not being released, called 911 on Friday morning when she was sure Embry was in a deep enough sleep that he wouldn’t hear her.
The woman, who is not from Spencer County, Stump said, and Embry did not have a pre-existing relationship.
Stump would not comment on how the two became acquainted, but said apparently the woman felt comfortable enough to meet Embry at his home.
However, once there, Embry would not let her leave.
According to the warrant for Embry’s arrest, “[Embry] held [the] victim against her will in his home and would not allow her to leave. The victim states that when they were outside the home, [Embry] would not allow her out of his sight and always had a gun on him.”
The warrant states that Embry engaged in sexual intercourse with the woman by “forcible compulsion.”
“Per statements from the victim, [Embry] raped her on several occasions and on at least one occasion, held her at gunpoint while he raped her,” the warrant reads.
Stump did not have an exact time frame that the woman was held captive, but said she had been at the home for a couple of weeks.
Stump said Embry had alarms on the doors of his home that would sound if the woman tried to leave.
Upon the arrival Friday morning of the sheriff’s deputies, the woman fled the house, Stump said.
“Once we were there, it didn’t matter if the alarm went off,” he said.
Embry refused to make contact with the sheriff’s department for several hours, Stump said.
Stump, Chief Deputy Jonathan Bentley, Maj. Carl Reesor, Sgt. Rob Thomas, Deputy Andrew Ware and Deputy Austin Sasser all responded to the scene. Stump said the department had EMS Director Jeff Coulter on standby as a paramedic and had a Humvee with a stretcher in it on scene in case the situation took a turn for the worst.
However, after an estimated five hours, Stump said Embry surrendered peacefully.
Embry is currently being held in the Shelby County Detention Center on a $50,000 cash bond. As of Tuesday morning, a court date had not yet been set.
After escaping the residence, the woman was transported to the hospital for treatment, Stump said.