RELAY FOR LIFE: Robyn Adcock shares her journey with cancer and the importance of family support

-A A +A

By Robyn Adcock

My journey with cancer began April 25, 2012. My husband and I went to the Cleveland Clinic for my annual scan checking on an aneurysm. Just like all the other times, after finishing the scan we went to my doctor’s office for the results. My doctor had a very concerned look, which made me think the worst.

Curiosity got the best of me. I immediately looked at the scan, and I knew it was not the same as last year’s. However, I had no clue what I was looking at. As my doctor returned to the examination room, he turned to me and said that the aneurysm had definitely changed. The scan now showed that I had a mass on my right lung. Within five minutes, we were seeing a thoracic doctor. He proceeded to tell me I needed a PET scan and a biopsy.  After hearing that astounding news, my husband and I decided we wanted to go home so we could be close to family and friends. It took a week to get the PET scan, which confirmed our worst fears.
I must say I had no idea that anything was wrong with me. Yes, I started losing weight March 3, but I still felt fine. Little did I know that I had a mass on my lungs the size of a lemon. My doctor was much more concerned than I was. Bless my husband’s heart, he immediately went into caregiver mode making sure I had the best care every step of the way.  
The PET scan confirmed cancer, but thankfully it was only in the right lung. I was able to finish up the school year as Spencer County Middle School cafeteria manager and was able to have my surgery on May 25, 2012.
On the day of the surgery, the doctor told my family that the cancer had grown three times its original size. I was determined to remain positive throughout everything that might come our way. Now, I get scans every six months and will for the next two years. After that, I will only have scans once a year.  
From the beginning of this journey to now, I feel very blessed to be living. I know my faith in God and wonderful support from my family and friends have helped me through this very difficult time. My husband, Ken, protector, supporter and caregiver, was my rock throughout this most trying time.
I am now back working at SCMS and am so thankful to be able to do so.