.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • MATTER OF OPINION: A little of this and that

    Judge Executive David Jenkins may have been joking when he suggested the fire protection district contribute to the cost of hiring 911 dispatchers, but it was City Commissioner Kathy Spears who took the issue very seriously.

    At a meeting Thursday afternoon, Spears wanted to know why the Spencer County-Taylorsville Fire Department was not contributing to the cost of dispatch services. Firefighters are, after all, benefiting from 911 just like city police, EMS and the Sheriff’s office. “Why does the fire department pay nothing,” Spears said.

  • "The day that changed my life"

    Melissa Davis still can not believe she was chosen.

    The 35-year-old divorced mom of four said she had to call Habitat Family Selection Chair Becky Culver recently to ask, “Did I dream the whole thing?”

    Culver assured her that it was a reality. Davis and her children would be the next family to partner with Spencer County Habitat for Humanity.

    “I’m so excited that I’m beyond words,” said Davis. “I’m still in shock.”

  • Who's the boss?

    Have you seen the new TV show “Undercover Boss?”  It’s pretty simple; the CEO of a big company goes “undercover” in his company to see what is really happening. It is really a great illustration of a very Biblical principle.

  • PUBLIC RECORD: District Court

    The Honorable Judge Donna Dutton presided over the following cases in District Court on December 8, 2009.

    Small Claims:

    Tomas Pascual v Ryan G. Smith. Judgment for Tomas Pascual.

    The Honorable Judge Donna Dutton presided over the following cases in District Court on December 11, 2009.

    Traffic:

    Frank Buttera Jr. (b. 1986). Disregarding a stop sign. Traffic  school. $143 court costs.

  • Local musicians participate in Haiti benefit

    Three local musicians – Jamie Lawson, Alex Shelley and Sam McClain – will be participating in Helping Hand for Haiti, a benefit at the Saints-Sky Bar in Louisville.

  • Lady Bears drop final home game

     The Spencer County Lady Bears said goodbye to a couple of seniors Wednesday night but were not able to secure a victory as they fell to Trimble County, 47-36.

    Jayme Thomas and Elizabeth Whitely were honored prior to the tip-off of the varsity match-up and they will end their high-school careers in the 30th District Tournament opening round game against Shelby County tonight at 6 p.m.

    However, they had one last chance for a victory at home in a season that’s been short on wins.

  • 911 services could be moved to Frankfort

    The 911 committee recommended that the services of the Kentucky State Police should be used to provide emergency dispatch for Spencer County. Committee Chairman Nathan Nation told fiscal court Wednesday that state law enforcement dispatchers could not only provide better services than the current contractor, but at a much lower cost.

  • Man wanted by state police

    An arrest warrant for attempted murder and felony possession of a firearm has been issued for Terry Lee Dumphord, also known as “L.A.,” in connection with a shooting that occurred in Paris, Ky. on Feb. 1, 2010.

    Dumphord is a 40 year-old, black male whose last known residence was Paris, Ky. He is approximately 6-feet tall and weighs approximately 190 lbs.

    It is suspected that he could be in the Lexington or Louisville area.

  • MATTER OF OPINION: Buyer beware

    Last week’s story about a plan to build a 24-unit housing complex for low-income families brings to mind the old adage buyer beware. According to one resident, he had no idea that such a plan existed near his home in Old South Plantation. And if the $4 million patio-style homes do materialize, he’s selling. Regardless of how much is spent or how well the apartments blend in with the area, this homeowner said he wants to get out before his investment depreciates.

  • Mt. Eden man severely burned

    A Mt. Eden man was severely burned Saturday night when his oxygen tube ignited.

    The unidentified elderly man was reportedly smoking when the plastic tubing supplying oxygen to a nasal cannula was compromised. A flash fire ignited the man’s clothes and couch.

    “It exploded in his face,” said Tim Herndon, of the Mt. Eden Fire Department.

    The man’s wife, also unidentified, extinguished the flames before calling 911.