A home in the 5000 block of Little Union Road sustained heat and smoke damage on April 20 when a fire started in its kitchen, Taylorsville-Spencer County Fire Chief Nathan Nation said.
Food had apparently been left on the stove, he said.
A woman in the home was downstairs doing laundry when she heard a smoke alarm, he said.
'She came upstairs and the first floor was filled with smoke,' Nation said. 'One of the big things she did to prevent further damage was shut the front door to help contain the fire.'